Who Was John C Greenway
John Campbell Greenway
Born at Huntsville, Alabama on July 6, 1872, John C Greenway was destined for greatness. He attended the University of Virginia but later entered Yale University. At Yale, he was president of his Senior Class in 1895. He was quarter back for the football team and was an “All-American Catcher” on the baseball team. In his chosen career, he started as a helper at Duquesne, Pennsylvania at the furnaces of the Carnegie Steel Company in 1895, but was immediately advanced to foreman of the mechanical department. At the opening of the Spanish-American War, he enlisted as a private in the Unites States Voluntary Calvary, more commonly known as the Roosevelt Rough Riders. He was made Second Lieutenant, promoted to First Lieutenant for gallantry in action, and later promoted to Captain.
From 1899-1905 Mr. Greenway was Assistant Superintendent of Mines at Ishpeming, Michigan. In 1905 he became General Superintendent of the Canisteo Mining District where he laid out the town of Coleraine, his Model Village. It was at that point that his scheme of building a $100,000 school in the wilderness, the old Greenway School, built in 1908 on the site which is now the Scofield Building, attracted attention all over the United States. In 1910 he was made General Manager of the New Cornelia Copper Company in Arizona.
In 1906 he developed the Coleraine town site which was incorporated in 1909. The bank opened 1906 and was used by members of the Carnegie Steel Company. Recognizing a need for order, Coleraine was developed as the “Model Village” in stark contrast to neighboring Bovey with its many saloons. Construction of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in 1908 was overseen by city founder John C. Greenway, and it was the first church to be completed in Coleraine. The church was built using logs from one of the few remaining areas of virgin timber in northeastern Minnesota, and the interior of the church is built entirely from wood.
John C. Greenway reserved two village lots for a library and in 1909 began negotiations for a $15,000 gift from Andrew Carnegie. Built in the Classic Revival Style, the doors opened January 2, 1911, with Mrs. W. C. (Jennie) Bollinger as librarian.
The first Coleraine School was built in 1908 and was filled to capacity soon after completion. The present Greenway High School on Roosevelt Street was built in 1922 and continues to serve the students of Greenway very well.
When World War I broke out he enlisted early in spite of his responsible business position. He served with distinction and was awarded the Croix de Guerre with two palms, the Distinguished Service Medal, the British Distinguished Service Medal and the Congressional Medal. On January 19, 1926, John C. Greenway died in New York City, from complications after gall bladder surgery.
A memorial service was held in the Greenway Auditorium at the same hour as the funeral in Ajo, Arizona. During that hour, out of respect, all businesses in the area closed. Greenway’s name and fame will ever be held dear in this school district. Taken from 1922 and 1926 Blast.